Chia pudding, when done right, is one of the best high-fat desserts and on-the-go breakfasts out there!
Yet, for a long time, chia pudding wasn’t my jam. I tried various recipes, but I always ended up with a watered-down, kinda “meh” consistency. I like rich, decadent flavors that make my brain melt in a fit of deliciousness. I simply didn’t see the point of eating something that tastes so blatantly like a “health food”.
Until it dawned on me that the problem weren’t the chia seeds per se, but the types of liquids I was using to soak them in. Many chia pudding recipes call for low-fat milks, like almond or cashew, or even fruit juice. Use a high-fat milk like coconut, and you have a whole different consistency and mouthfeel!
This recipe makes a creamy, deliciously rich chia pudding that is spiced up (quite literally) with turmeric, black pepper and MCT oil. And what a nutritional powerhouse it is!
Chia seeds deliver a remarkable amount of nutrients with very few calories or carbs. They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron (3x more than spinach!), and calcium, and they can be very soothing for the digestive system. They are also a complete protein source and can help regulate blood sugar.
Add to that the anti-inflamatory, brain-boosting and cancer fighting properties of turmeric, along with the metabolism-regulating properties of MCT oil, and you’ve got yourself, quite literally, a superfood!
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tbsp MCT oil
- 1/2 and 1/4 tsp turmeric (if you don’t want the turmeric taste to be too strong start with 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 pinch high quality sea salt
- 1/4 tsp finely-ground black pepper (sounds weird but enhances the absorption of turmeric by 2000%)
- 2-3 drops stevia glycerite or liquid stevia
- Pour all ingredients into a mason jar and secure the lid.
- Shake vigorously for 1-2 minutes and store in the fridge for at least 5 hours or overnight so the seeds can soak and turn into their gel form.
- Once the pudding is set (you can gauge this by tilting the jar), enjoy! You can top with fresh berries, yogurt, your favorite nut butter, roasted coconut flakes or any other toping your heart desires!