I’ve been doing some pretty intense fasts lately to reset my body and bring inflammation down, and they’ve been doing wonders for my brain function and energy levels. But, they’ve also meant that I’ve been feeling a little more deprived than usual.
So this morning, I decided to make a low-carb treat to fuel up my hard-working body and remind it that it’s all good – no famine, no lion chasing me, no child in need of rescue!
These chocolate-waffles hot right the spot, with the added coconut yogurt and persimmon making for an extra luxurious and decadent meal. For coconut yogurt I used New Earth’s Super Probiotic Coconut Yogurt, a terrifically rich yogurt that almost tastes like thick, whipped cream with a tangy twist. If you can’t find that brand, The Coconut Cult, or COYO would make great alternatives!
Now, if you’re following a strict keto diet, I’m well aware that persimmons, like most fruit, are rather carb-loaded. I used 1/2 of a small persimmon, which comes out to about 12g of carbs. If this doesn’t fit into your daily plan, you can easily replace it with a lower-carb fruit, like berries or some sugar-free maple syrup.
If you can “afford” the carbs, though, the combo really IS worth it!!
Note: click on the links below to see what products I used
- 1/4 cup pure, unsweetened hemp protein powder
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 small persimmon
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp avocado or melted coconut oil (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt (or more, if desired)
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tbsp powdered monkfruit sweetener (optional – or replace with 1tsp maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- In a small/medium bowl, beat the egg.
- Add coconut milk and oil and whisk.
- Add hemp protein and cocoa powder and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add sweetener (if using), salt and baking soda and mix well.
Pour the waffle mixture into the warm waffle maker to make one waffle and cook until crispy.
- Meanwhile slice the persimmon and set aside.
- When ready, transfer waffle to a plate, and top with persimmon slices and coconut yogurt.