When I went nightshade-free in September of last year following the recommendation of my Ayurvedic doctor, my first reaction was: “What on earth will I add to salads??” I had to get creative, and quick.
This arugula-chicken salad was one of the first combos I tried, and I loved it so much that it’s since become a staple in my lunchbox. It’s filling, delicious and just sweet enough, plus it comes with a nice dose of vitamin K, chlorophyll, folate, potassium and vitamin C to name but a few.
Sometimes I’ll omit the chicken and serve it with a nice grilled, pork chop for dinner instead – it’s fantastic either way!
- 3 cups arugula
- 4-5 strawberries
- 1/2 cup shaved fennel
- 1/4 cup fennel greens
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken meat
- 1/4 cup cooked and crumbled bacon (make sure it’s nitrate-free)
- 1 tsp hemp hearts (optional – omit for AIP)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.